     From: Toby <t...@tobiah.org>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: My First Lute
     To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Date: Wednesday, 1 August, 2012, 17:36

   On 07/31/2012 03:25 PM, A.J. Padilla MD wrote:
   > As I recall, over the years there have been several threads about the
   > Pakistani lutes, all pretty much negative, essentially to the effect
   that
   > you need all new strings, have to change the action by altering the
   > fingerboard and/or bridge and/or nut, and tolerate a thick,
   poorly-made
   > soundboard, they're ok.
   That's all quite fair.  I bought one from eBay years ago.  It was
   playable,
   and made sound.  It reminded me of one of those cheap ukuleles that you
   can pick up at a gift shop in Hawaii.  It did enough to let me know
   whether I wanted to pursue playing on a lute.  In the end I decided
   to stick with a retuned classical guitar because I found it difficult
   to go back and forth between the two, due to the great difference in
   spacing between the strings.