On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 12:57:06 +0100, Monica Hall wrote
> I think you are confusing the issue here.  There is no such thing as
> an "lute-shaped guitar".   What Meucci is saying that the term
> "chitarra" in early (15th -16th century) Italian sources refers to
> an instrument of the lute family not to a figure-of-eight shaped instrument.

I shure hope this is what Meucci meant.

> The meaning of words changes with the passage of time.

Even worse: there's no definite meaning atached to 'chitarra' during
that period. Unfortunately, at the end of the 15th century some theorists
decided to switch from the well-established medieval latin terms to some
fancy anticisizing terms. So we end up with "chitarra" in Tinctoris and Gafrius.

Chitarra could mean: Lute, small Lute/gittern, Harp and at some point also
the instrument we now call "Renaissance Guitar".
So - a "Chitarrone" is "a large stringed instrument". Not very helpful :-)

 Cheers, RalfD