Hello Martyn,
   Unfortunately I have not found the exact date yet. I guess digging into
   a full list of paintings by Tibaldi will clear this up but I haven't
   got access to that on short notice.
   I will continue the search for iconographical or other sources for both
   shapes of chitarrino (figure-8 or lute) when I've got some spare time
   but it's not exactly going very fast or easy so far... And linking such
   pictures to a tablature and/or a name of an instrument will probably be
   very hard to find.
   You have the right to be sceptical about not seeing this instrument as
   a possible mandore, but there are some facts to take into account which
   make it improbably in my opinion:
   - the mandore started off as a single-course instrument; double courses
   are not to be found until much later (definitely not in the 16th
   century) - and if single course, even if not all the pegs are used,
   this instrument would be pretty early to have five strings.
   - the mandore usually has a sickle-shaped peg box. (I know there are
   counter-examples to be made where a pegbox like in this picture is used
   but that is the exception, not the rule.)
   - there are no Italian sources for the mandore this soon - even in
   France it seems the instrument only reached the north of France and
   Paris around the 1570s. The earliest Italian sources that might point
   to the mandore are from around the 1630s. The "mandore boom" is pretty
   local to France during the 16th century, Germany and Italy follow
   several decades later.
   (I can think of only one exception: the "mandole" mentioned as used in
   one of the intermedii of the Medici wedding in 1589; but that is
   probably because the bride, Christina of Lorraine, came from France.)
   Kind regards,
   Pieter