     From: Davide Rebuffa <davide.rebu...@fastwebnet.it>
     Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: 4 course guitar in Italy
     To: pie...@vantichelen.name
     Cc: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>, "Monica Hall"
     <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>, "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Monday, 28 January, 2013, 10:37

   Dear Pieter,
   you are looking in the right way concerning the instrument but not the
   painter and the century.
   I wonder how did you could find that the painting you mention could be
   form Tibaldi because it is by Antiveduto della Grammatica
   (copies in Wien KHM, Treviso, Museo Civico and one also in Spain or
   Portugal, I have to check.) and is dated around 1620.
   Kind regards,
   Davide
   Il giorno 28/gen/2013, alle ore 11:11, Pieter Van Tichelen ha scritto:
   >   Hi Martyn & Monica,
   >   Finally I have managed to dig up an iconographical source relevant
   >   the discussion, 16th century Italy. Of course, nothing proves that
   the
   >   instrument depicted is a "chitarrino" but at least it proves some
   >   lute-like instrument of soprano range at that time and place. The
   >   picture predates the introduction of the French mandore and
   consequent
   >   development towards the Italian baroque mandolin and is made by an
   >   Italian painter mainly active in Rome, Bologna and Milan during the
   >   later half of the 16th century.
   >   The painting is called "Saint Cecilia" and the painter is
   Pellegrino
   >   Tibaldi. You can have a look at the picture in black & white in
   Gallica
   >   (use the buttons to enlarge details):
   >   [1][1]http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8428483r
   >   Of course the instrument of interest is the one laying on the
   table.
   >   It's a pity the instrument is in perspective pointing towards us,
   which
   >   makes it more difficult to judge the size. But at the very least we
   can
   >   conclude it's smaller than the typical lute (almost the same than
   the
   >   violin on the same table though difficult to judge exactly); and
   has
   >   only a limited amount of courses. Though the instrument has 7 pegs,
   >   know of certain cases where pegs are added decoratively (both on
   >   pictures and preserved instruments) so I won't base any final
   >   judgements... but it seems to be a likely candidate for a
   four-course
   >   lute-like gittern. (I'm wondering whether this might not be the
   type
   >   referred to as the "small lute lacking the bass and soprano
   courses".)
   >   I will continue to try and find any pictures of figure-8 shaped or
   >   lute-like soprano plucked instruments but it's been hard to find
   even
   >   this one...
   >   Kind regards,
   >   Pieter
   >   ___________________________________________________________________
   ____

   Muecci
   >   or any other) that it was lute-shaped. I do wish you'd read what I
   >   wrote a bit more carefully......
   >   You also ask
   >   ' Why should the 4-course guitar be referred as Italian, rather
   than
   >   Spanish
   >   if it was Spanish in origin? Or even French. The only reason for
   >   referring to it as Italian was presumably because there was
   something
   >   specifically Italian about it.How you manage to deduce from this
   that
   >   it is differentiating between the 4- and 5-course guitars I don't
   >   know.'
   >   Well - what I actually said was that calling the two instruments by
   >   different names MIGHT simply be recognising that at one time, say
   the
   >   late 16th century when both the small 5 course and large 5 course
   were
   >   around (eg for the 1589 La Pellegrina intermede and especially for
   >   Cavalieri's grand chorus 'O che nuovo miracolo' ) it was useful and
   >   meaningful to differentiate the two instruments ie the small four
   >   course instrument (mostly used in Italy at the time) and the larger
   5
   >   course Spanish instrument. Note there's no need to assume that the
   >   differentiation means anything to do with the shape!
   >   And where did you get that I said the 4 course guitar was Spanish
   in
   >   origin?
   >   Again, puzzled......
   >   But, as ever, regards to you
   >   Martyn
   >   PS You may have read the recent exchange I had with Wayne about
   >   freezing computers. So I've chopped off some of the earlier stuff
   from
   >   your email to avoid the problems - perhaps you (and others) could
   do
   >   the same when replying?
   Chitarra
   >   -
   >   to wit
   >   1. Liuto piccolo, che manca del basso e del soprano
   >   A small lute which lacks the bass and soprano (courses)
   >   2. Specie di liuto, ma piu piccolo e con meno corde
   >   A kind of lute but smaller and with fewer strings.
   >   In the entry for Liuto it gives the Latin equivalent
   "Testudo".Anyone

   [12]http://us.mc817.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=willsam...@yahoo.co.uk
   [13]http://us.mc817.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=lute@cs.dartmouth.edu