From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Bruno Correia
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 10:27 PM
Cc: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Tempo, magnitude and precision.

   Hello Tobiah,

   How absolute metric time could have been acheived in the Renaissance?
   The tactus was a constant pulse behind the rhythm, but it was an
   organic motion not a strict measured time like a metronome.
   Actually, the only genre of music (which comes to my mind) that really
   plays in time is pop music... How do we know they valued absolute
   strict time in the Renaissance?

   I've heard it expressed by one professor, that
   absolute metric time was desired during the Renaissance.