Hi, Tobiah and all.
   Yes, officially you're right Tobiah, but Francesco lived at a time when
   Europe was transitioning to the use of established family names, so
   many names that we use today would seem ridiculous if interpreted in
   their original meaning.
   Basically, European surnames are either place names like Shapiro (from
   Speyer), or Covington, for example; occupation names like Cartier or
   Wainwright, or names from the patronymic tradition like Fitzhugh ("fils
   de Hugh"), or my own, Stetson (son of Stith), which were standardized
   at a certain time.  Probably no one in my family has been named Stith
   in 600 years, but we're still all "sons" of  great(9) grandpa Stith,
   even the women.
   Families of great socio-politico-economic status (Sforza, Hapsburg,
   Tudor) were solidified earlier than lower class families for obvious
   reasons, and of course there are anomalies.  A couple of my favorites
   are an Italian tradition of having an insulting nickname of an
   ancestor, like Testagrossa (Fat Head) for a surname, and people of
   Northern and Central European Jewish heritage, being forced to choose
   family names late in the game, are possessed of beautifully fanciful
   ones like Goldberg (Golden Mountain) or Blumenthal (Valley of Flowers).
   So, in short, if you're writing historical fiction, no one should refer
   to him as "da Milano" (unless they're speaking Italian and the question
   is "Where is he from?"), but he can properly be called that in a modern
   context.
   My 2 cents, anyway.
   Best to all,
   Chris.