To tell you how I know this:
Some 10 years ago I embarked on a search for a branch of the family that was missing for 80 years in South Africa (their surname was SAUTSCHECK, and the search was successful, all SouthAfrican cousins were found! (the few NorthAmerican were not...)). In the process I came into contact with professional historians/genealogists, and have been bluntly informed by them that THERE WERE NO NAME CHANGES AT ELLIS ISLAND, for aforementioned reasons. What was in fact more common is that many people were traveling with forged, bought or stolen documents. There were horse-thieves and revolutionaries of many colors among our ancestors.
RT