Dear Bill,

Yes I agree about the lack of standardisation! We're obsessed with
defining things these days.

I've had a go at altering the levels on that picture and with a bit
of jiggery-pokery it shows that we will never know what sort of lute
he's holding. He's sitting with his left arm over the back of a
Spanish style chair and the head of the lute is clearly well off the
bounds of the picture. So it could be anything!

I'm sure you're right about local makers being involved in many of
the alterations. In fact the little Mest 12 course in Linkoping is
almost certainly a case in point, the neck and pegboxes are much
poorer quality work than the beautifully made back.

Best wishes,

David

--
The Smokehouse,