I understand that, Bill: It's hard to keep a stable of correct instruments for any given time and it's also up to the player to choose his sound and presentation. Furthermore, who am I to judge?

But there is this underlying drumbeat of "future instrument creep" that I find confusing. It's rare to see an earlier instrument used anachronistically but becoming quite standard to use a later one or even create and use new modern hybrids. Granted that's what every lutenist from Poulton to Bream did and I don't want to debate their musicality or choice, especially our sacred pioneers. It seems there will always be the modern element that we can't or won't eleminate -- even given the choice.

I suppose that to re-enact today's concerts, future audiences will need to hold up some sort of early 21th century smartphones to make the ambience complete. "Oh, a group of 10 with antique iPhones? Let's put you all in the first two rows!"

Sean