On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:43:10 -0400, Geoff Gaherty wrote
> On 25/09/13 3:34 PM, Dan Winheld wrote:
> > Polar opposite to Jazz electric guitarists, who seemed to me to avoid
> > open strings as much as possible.
>
> The same is true of gamba players, who avoid open strings because of
> their different tone.

Is this a (documented) historic practise? Or something taken over
from Cello playing? I always thought this (avoidance of open strings) was
a result of the change to metal strings during the first decades of the
20th century. I can't find any indication of open string avoidance in
Hume or the late German Gamba tablatures (thats the tab stuff I've at
hand right now)

Cheers, RalfD