Another good point- the only lute for which I built my own capo (pain in the butt piece of fussy work) was a 72 cm SL "Division" bass lute that worked very well as an "E" lute (a-415 or 440) with a generous 10 fret neck, and narrow-ish sloping shoulders at the neck-body joint. But, in order to work, required equal tempered frets. Great instrument for accompaniment as well as a substantial amount of solo work. But a 58 - 62 cm SL, 8-fret neck tenor lute with meantone fretting? forget the damn capo!

Dan

On 9/25/2013 4:13 PM, R. Mattes wrote:
He makes the point that they did it in this way because the vihuela
>had only 10 frets and a capo on the fingerboard would have reduced
>this to 9.
and lutes only had 7 or 8 frets ...