As far as (electric) jazz guitar, it seems the problem with open
   strings is in the way they pop out with overtones and brightness in
   those running passages that never end.  I am rather partial to the
   pre-electric chord melody style of Dick McDonough, Carl Kress and
   George Van Eps.  Van Eps effectively transferred his style to electric
   but he invented a damper attached to the peghead and  that barely
   touched the strings just beyond the business end of the nut.  This
   device cancelled out those nasty open-string overtones on electrified
   guitars.
   RA
   > Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:04:17 -0700
   > To: davidvanooi...@gmail.com
   > CC: Lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > From: dwinh...@lmi.net
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Capo use on early instruments
   >
   > Oh yes, Joe Pass hitting an open string would instantly have the
   whole
   > crowd snoring. And don't ask what would happen if Django or Jimi
   Hendrix