I realize the guitar was strung in gut before nylon's appearance. Should I assume it had thicker diameters and higher tensions (?) than the lute strings of KR and JB - that is, if I understand Allan's note correctly that they played gut-strung lutes? Their lutes were post-war lutes and could have been nylon, right?

I'm still curious about the gut strings and how successful they are on the lutes of the people who play with nails. Does such a combination exist on this list?

There are many historical guitars that date from pre-nylon days, too, and I suspect a few players of same (strung in gut?) on this list. Maybe someone could speak to how gut strings last on them?

I'm just honestly curious about how the metal fret (where applicable) / nails / gut string experience plays out. Surely they wore out quicker than nylon but where? why?

Many years ago I saw an older Vandervogel lute/guitar like that of my dad's (his from ~1950) but I believe older. That one had scalloped frets. Would this have been a way of dealing w/ the gut/metal fret wear? Was this done on classical guitars, too?

Sean