   From: Christopher Wilke <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
   To: "hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>;
   "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Tuesday, 28 January 2014, 13:14
   Subject: RE: [LUTE] Re: archlute/theorbo in Corelli's Op. 1
   Iconographic sources depict theorbos and/or archlutes with highly
   variable numbers of courses and stringing setups. Unfortunately we have
   no way of knowing how any particular instrument was tuned. Modern gut,
   since its characteristics are quiet different from historical gut, does
   not provide an empirically reliable metric to determine pitch or tuning
   based upon string length.
   Beyond that, I'm wondering what exactly the overall point of this
   conversation is. If the object is to determine whether certain
   composers expected archlute or theorbo to the exclusion of the other,
   the historical evidence is inconclusive.
   Chris[1]
   Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad