Word, brother, Amen.

That 'new fret' sound is worth its weight in gold. Just replaced mine Friday and I'm a happy camper again. Actual replacement per fret goes pretty quickly but assembling all the tools, finding my notes and gauges, etc can take the time*. For years I just used a match (or a butterknife over a stove flame) but have converted to the soldering iron recently since I'm currently stuck with a user-unfriendly electric range. With the stove method I can get just the right temperature and can not only burn through the gut (using the duller edge) but can put a big flat swedge on the end of the gut with no ugly black char.

It's surprising how different a sound one gets from the new fret edge. That old flattened surface can really affect the ringtime and tone and, like the frog in the boiling water, I never notice its arrival. With new frets I'm always surprised at how much less pressure I need w/ my left fingers to get a clean note - energy I'd far prefer to use for accuracy.

Just my $.02,
Sean

*I'm reminded of the old saying: He didn't have time to do it right the first time but he had plenty of time to do it over.