   that 1.2mm 1st fret: a little bit of lifting at the edge corners but it
   settles after a while.

   Sean

   On Feb 9, 2014, at 4:14 PM, A.J. Padilla MD wrote:
   Speaking of surgical implements, a hemostat is an absolutely wonderful
   tool
   if you want to tie frets.  It holds on to the short end and allows you
   really pull quite hard for a tight fret, without wasting fretgut.
   -----Original Message-----
   From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [[1]mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu]
   On Behalf
   Of Dan Winheld
   Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:35 PM
   To: alexander; Herbert Ward
   Cc: [2]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: How to cut fret shims.
   "I could whittle with a utility knife, but that would be wasteful and
   time
   consuming."
   "I find that a surgical saw, something like what one can find even on
   Amazon
   (Satterlee Bone Saw 13") is an ideal tool. A very thin blade with sharp
   teeth. Just make sure you do not cut yourself in the process... It is
   actually ideal for many uses with wood, bone and plastics."
   Guys,
   Why would either of you go to all that bother, rather than merely
   replacing
   the fret? Of course, an emergency situation (5 minutes before show
   time,
   during rehearsal, or stuck out somewhere beyond easy reach of the
   postal
   service & no spare gut) is another story.
   I could remove & replace 10 gut frets in the time it would take you to
   whittle a single proper shim out of a "1/2 inch by 1/2 inch by 10
   inches (
   1cm x 1cm x 20cm)" piece of anything. That is, single frets. The more
   traditional doubles (still routinely used by the viol players) would
   take a
   little more time.
   Fret changing is not hard at all, once you've done a few and get into
   the
   rhythm of it. Soon you will be getting them so tight that you will have
   back off to keep from breaking the thinner ones, and even that big, bad
   1st
   fret will only take the slightest more aggression to make as tight as
   necessary. Thomas Mace has a pretty good tutorial on frets, as I
   remember.
   So does Dan Larson on his website, and no doubt there are others easily
   available. Catch me at the right time I'll do it for you, and show you
   how.
   A cigarette lighter, fingernail clippers, and maybe (strictly optional)
   small pliers for the 1st fret.
   The business with the surgical saw is what I paid a professional
   luthier to
   do recently when I had bone body frets put on my lute- frets 10 & up.
   He
   messed up my 9th & 8th frets leveling the new bone frets, and it took
   me 3
   minutes or less to replace them practically under his nose in the shop.
   Happy fretting! (It almost gets fun)
   Dan

     I could whittle with a utility knife, butthat would be wasteful and
     time

   consuming.
   alexander r.