I find fret shims sometimes useful on my archlute and theorbo, where I don't
always get a new fret tight enough before that very short slide up to position.
Instead of throwing that new fret out I will shim with wood or rolled thick
paper. If older frets become loose but are still serviceable, I may also shim.

But new frets make the instruments sound their best.

-- R