>> Campion actually says that he reccommends his pupils to take a few lessons
>> on the guitar before starting with the lute.

What I have found interesting is how Campion—who doesn’t seem to be embarrassed
to call himself both a theorbo and guitar master—seems to suggest that the way
to play (or more precisely ’touch') the theorbo is really similar to the
guitar. I wonder what this says about French eighteenth century performance
style.

Campion (my translations):

There is an art to touching [the notes of] the chords. The thumb, after having
touched the essential note, must then do a batterie with the other fingers,
restruming [the strings] and alternately multiplying the chord, unless the
strings are separated [….] This is why I always give a dozen guitar lessons to
those who intend to accompany on the theorbo.

The harpègement of chords on theorbo makes up superbly when abbreviating the
bass [in quick] movements. It is for this reason that I usually give, as I
said, a dozen lessons on the guitar to those who intend to accompany on the
theorbo. Its facility brings about in a short time [an understanding of] the
touch [of the instrument].

Shaun Ng