I saw that orchestra in Connecticut last Sunday. The lutenist strummed
   quite bit, on a swan - neck Baroque lute. It looked to have a pick
   guard installed. He was a fine player.
   Eric

   On Feb 27, 2014 8:31 AM, "Geoff Gaherty" <[1]ge...@gaherty.ca> wrote:

     On 27/02/14 3:43 AM, William Samson wrote:

         Not that I know anything about it, but the name 'chittarone'
     seems to
         give the game away.  The very idea has me salivating!   Mighty
         rasgueados on the theorbo, anyone?

     I attended a concert by the Venice Baroque Orchestra in Santa
     Barbara recently and was surprised by the amount of rasgueado
     strumming by their theorbo player.  He even had a pick guard
     installed on his instrument!
     Geoff
     --
     Geoff Gaherty