Chris, it took you three and a half hours to join battle this time.  You must
be slowing in your old age.

On Mar 17, 2014, at 10:49 AM, Christopher Wilke <chriswi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> There is no historical evidence implying that plucked continuo players didn't
> want or expect to be heard even in large groups.

I wasn’t talking in the past tense.  The question was about now, in an ensemble
with an electronic keyboard and three modern cellos played by cellists with no
clue about period practice.  The fact is that we can only guess at what the
historical attitude was, and risk being simple-minded if we assume there was
only one historical attitude.

In any event, the question isn’t whether the lute is heard, but how it is
heard.  The second cellist doesn’t sit around worrying about whether he’ll be
heard separately from the other two cellists, and if he plays so as draw
attention to himself, the conductor won’t ask him back.  An ensemble is an
ensemble, and you have to think about the ensemble sound, not your own.

> On the contrary, Weiss writes, "I have adapted one of my instruments for
> accompaniment in the orchestra and church. It has the size, length, power and
> resonance of the veritable theorbo and has the same effect, only the tuning
> is different... [The archlute and theorbo] are ordinarily played with the
> nails and produce in close proximity a coarse, harsh sound.”
> Period performers didn't select powerful, resonant instruments which they
> then played with nails, producing an intentionally penetrating tone color,
> only to become a subordinate "part of the mix.”

It’s precisely the sort of sound I’d want if I wanted to blend with a
harpsichord.

It might also be the sort of sound I’d want if I were the sole continuo player,
in which case I’d be more concerned about whether my sound was distinct.  Weiss
was a star, the most highly-paid musician in the star-studded Dresden
establishment, and he would have been in a featured position, probably doing a
lot of sole continuo in the Dresden orchestra.

>  Certainly they were "heard as a distinct, identifiable sound.”

1.  Beware of certainty.
2.  So if four theorbos are playing the continuo line, each of them should be
heard as a distinct, identifiable sound?

> Something is deeply flawed with an ideology

?!?!?!?!?

> that allows one to actually feel comfortable writing, "it doesn't matter at
> all what you play... chalk it up to practice time" in a serious musical
> discussion.

Serious musical discussion???   You haven’t been paying attention.  Or you’ve
never played an orchestra gig with clueless modern cellists and electronic
keyboards.  I have; and and trust me, we’re not having a serious musical
discussion.

BTW, the last time I did it, I was playing my Clive Titmuss Strato-baroque
guitar.  They heard me pretty distinctly, I’m sure, but there were times when
the group would sound better if I weren’t heard: for example, the only way to
get a heirarchy of strong and weak beats was to play out on the strong beats
and back off (or lay out) on the weak ones, because nobody else knew what a
weak beat is.  If what the audience heard was GUITAR/not guitar/GUITAR/not
guitar instead of STRONG/weaK/STRONG/weak, I was just a distraction.