> Not only did Mesangeau use this tuning a lot. This piece has many
stylistic traits
> characteristic of him.
> I suggest he could well have been the composer. Otherwise someone else has
> deliberately cited from his work. Anyway Tombeau de Mesangeau might mean
> Tombeau by Mesangeau as well as Tombeau for Mesangeau. If my suggestion is
> right, this tombeau would predate the one composed by Ennemond Gaultier.
> Lex

Would be funny, though. Correct me if I'm wrong, I was thinking that
tombeaux in the 17th century were composed for real deceased persons, and
not just like that as a stylistic exercise like in the 20th/21st centuries.
Unless it be clear for whom this tombeau was penned other than for late
Mesangeau, I'd assume it was written at the occasion of Mesangeau's obituary
by someone else.

Mathias