From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of Louis
Aull [aul...@comcast.net]
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2014 12:51 PM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Bare spot on soundboard.

   Tony,

   It really depends on the angle your arm enters the soundboard and the
   length of your pinky relative to the index finger. If your arm enters
   the lute top well behind the bridge, the pinky naturally falls on the
   sound board. So it makes a good anchor point for finding the strings as
   well as keeping the lute in position.

   As the baroque necks got longer and peg boxes got heavier, the weight
   of the neck could be eased by raising the neck toward your head.
   Unfortunately that changes the angle your forearm comfortably makes
   with the bridge. Watch some of the hot shots and you will see what
   compromise they have reached between the two. Also watch the pinky lift
   on the big chords that involve both the very top and bottom strings.

   As my lutes got bigger I found my pinky raising more and more often,
   and eventually I stopped putting it down. One learns how to place the
   thumb for each chord without putting down a pinky by the relative
   position to the other fingers. My arm now enters the lute soundboard
   from a position directly above the bridge and I pluck the strings just
   below the rosette. The lute rests between my legs with a 45 degree neck
   angle to my body. I have to warm up a bit for my right hand to
   correctly find the basses, but after that I just recognize the chord
   and the thumb finds the note. A big benefit of this position is I sit
   upright in the chair and both arms find a comfortable position,
   allowing me to play longer, without shoulder or wrist discomfort. With
   the pinky up you can tolerate a taller bridge and closer spaced
   strings.

   My swan neck I play now has an beautiful englemann spruce top with no
   finish, touching it for any reason leaves a mark.

   Louis Aull