   From: Doug Asherman <dashe...@sonic.net>
   To: lutelist Net <Lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Tuesday, 5 August 2014, 17:35
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: those Pignoses!
   On 8/4/14 6:12 PM, howard posner wrote:
   > On Aug 4, 2014, at 1:54 PM, Tobiah <[1]t...@tobiah.org> wrote:
   >
   > Our ears are in tune with a different set of practices
   > now (at least the general public).  Perhaps if we looked up from
   anthropology
   > It's not anthropology.  It's the instruction manual.  If you pay
   thousands of dollars for an instrument (and millions of dollars for
   strings), you should at least read it.

   There's an instruction manual? Why am I spending all this money on
   lessons?
   As a long-time guitar player (~40 years) and a raw beginner on the lute
   (slightly more than a year), I'm in favor of the pinky on the
   soundboard
   position.  For me, at least, it makes rest strokes with the thumb
   easier; and a decent rest stroke with the thumb makes it easier to play
   a consistently strong melody line.
   I can't really discuss right and wrong technique here, since I am a
   beginner; I can only talk about what works for me. If I tried to play
   the lute the same way I play guitar, I wouldn't be making much
   progress.
   Doug