Well into CG territory, I once saw some p-i fingerings by Vahdah Olcott
   Bickford- but no reason to assume thumb-under. (Those of us who have
   mastered LATE Renaissance lute technique find p - i runs to be just as
   fast and- except for some course crossing in descending passagi- just
   as "easy" as thumb-under/inside.)
   A little historical footnote interest, as long as we are slightly
   0ff-topic here-  and not that un-relevant to debates involving
   different historical techniques anyway:

[1]"Re: Vahdah Olcott-Bickford

   [2]Post by [3]charlesivey >> Saturday 06 September 2008, 05:11 am
   I've read several historical mentions of and by Ms. Bickford, including
   some that would be a bit out of vogue today. If I remember correctly,
   she was not particularly impressed (initially) with the dreadful way
   some Spanish guitarists, notably Segovia, departed from the old style
   and used rest strokes and an unsupported right hand position. This is
   from a vague memory of a letter she wrote that was republished years
   ago in Soundboard -- and I could have it all wrong. If so, I apologize
   profusely."