I seem to recall using a piece of wood on top of the bridge, but on the
   treble side of my 13-course lute. A This had nothing to do with sound
   or amplification, it did it merely to raise the action of the
   instrument, as on the first 2 courses, they would buzz. A This was a
   temporary solution; A the permanent solution was to use a different
   kind of know on the string, which raised the action just high enough to
   avoid the buzz as well as not having to use this piece of wood as a
   shim. A Incidentally, the piece of wood was rosewood, same color as the
   bridge, and one could not see it unless pointing it out..
   ed

   On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Ed Durbrow <[1]edurb...@gmail.com>