   From: Martin Shepherd <mar...@luteshop.co.uk>
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Sent: Saturday, 17 January 2015, 10:26
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: 16th century tuning and stringing
     Good question! ;)
     On 17/01/2015 10:08, Robert Barto wrote:
       Dear Martin,
       OK. Great. When were they converted?
       Thanks, Robert
       --
       Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
     Martin Shepherd [1]<[1]mar...@luteshop.co.uk> wrote:
       I think it's likely that Dowland was referring only to the 6th
       course,
       courses 4 and 5 having been already "converted" to unisons by that
       time. He says specifically, "In that place which we call the sixth
       string" - when he could easily have said something like "all the
       basses". I suspect even when he had his 6th course in unison, he
   had
       the 7th-9th courses still in octaves (hard to imagine a unison 9th
       course in gut).
       Martin
       On 17/01/2015 01:13, Robert Barto wrote:
       > Thank you all for this so far.
       > I just checked out Barley (1596) which is apparently a revision
   of
       the