Dear Sean,
   The pieces in the first fascicle of Mus Ms 266 (and other manuscripts
   in the same hand) were sent to the Duke of Bavaria by Melchior
   Newsidler himself (b. 1531--son, not brother of Hans).  I was able to
   compare the handwriting in a letter to the duke with the tablatures.

   In December 1577, Newsidlerwrote his patron Wilhelm II, Duke of
   Bavaria,

   "Most serene, honorable Prince, kind Lord, Your princely Grace: Sent is
   my most humble pledge, as well as wishes for a radiant,good, and
   peace-filled New Year. Always before, when wanting to be rememberedby
   Your princely Grace, I have humbly presented some pieces for the lute.
   To that end I also want to comply [this year] and thereforehave
   compiled some quite good German dances, which I do humbly present."

   Fascicles in his hand survive in Mus Mss 266 (nos. 1-14), 1627 (nos.
   1-12: more intabulations), 2987 (nos. 37-8--left in one of the enormous
   Lasso choir books), and Paris BN Res 429 (first fascicle: 2v-48v:
   Italian dances).  Many of the pieces appear in his prints, but often in
   more ornate versions, suggesting he sent early versions to the duke.
   Melchior's output numbers over 200 pieces, making him the most prolific
   lutenist-composer of the Renaissance.  Contents of the available Munich
   manuscripts are below.  The prints are identified by Brown serial
   numbers, and "<"  indicates that the printed version is more ornamented
   than the manuscript version.
   (By the way, Rohrau is near the Newsidler Lake, a few miles south of
   Vienna.  Haydn was born there, and his mother worked in Graf Harrach's
   kitchen.  She might well have overheard Weiss' music from the Rohrau
   and Harrach manuscripts, which were mentioned here a few days ago.)

    Munich,Bayerische Staatsbibliothek,

                                      Mus Ms 266

   (1v-2) Alla dolce Ombra di Cipriano [de Rore] / A 4

   (2v-3) Signor mio Caro di Cipriano / A 4

   <1566/2, No.7   =1572/11, No. 8 [clip_image001.png] [clip_image003.png]

   (3v-4) Carita di signore: / A 4 di Cipriano

   <1566/2, No. 8]

   (4-4v) Con leyfus'A.io  / Jaques de pont

   [Does not =1566/2 (differenttuning)]

   (5v-6) Pis ne me Peult Venir a 5/ Criquillon

   <1572/1, No. 16

   (6-6v) Vray dieu disois A 4 Orlando [Lasso]

   < 1566/2, No.15   =1572/1, No. 28

   (7v-8) SousSpirs ardans [Arcadelt]

   <266, No. 136   < 1566/2, No. 10

   (8v-9) Passa e mezo M[elchiorl N[ewsidler]

   =1566/2, No. 13

   (l0v-11) Bewar mich herr [Zirler?]

   <1572/1, No. 24   <1574/5. No. 23

   (11v-12) Iomi son giovinetta [Ferabosco]

   <1572/1, No. 24 <1574/5, No. 23

   <Mus ms 266, No. 134

   (13 [formerly 76ff.])Hay Lass A. 4 di Orlando [Lasso]

   <1566/2, No. 12   <1572/1, No. 21

   (13v-14) Susanna / Vng Jour A.5. / di Orlando

   =1566/3, No. 7  <1573/3, No. 22

   >Mus ms 266, No. 149

   (That is, No. 149 is the model for the

   versionsof Mus ms 266, No. 13 and

   1573/03, No. 22)

   (15-16v) Sancta Maria A.6. vocum / di Vertalot

   [unicum]

            Mus Ms 2987, No. 37-8

   (12-12v) Susanna Vng Jour M[elchior] N[ewsidler] [Lupi

                     Didier II]

   =?1586/5,No. 34 [similar embellishment]

   (13-13v) Per su hospitiboschi: I A.4. Voce di Constanze festa

   [unicum]