Interesting question - I think that part of the reason at least is that after the reformation i.e from about 1540 very little Latin church music was composed by English composers. Byrd was an exception but actually he is quite late and he was a crypto catholic. The vihuela books don't include intabulations of music by Victoria for example which is late 16th century. This may also explain why English lutenists didn't intabulate music by Josquin etc. They may not have been very familiar with it. There is also a cultural difference. In Spain the vihuela was often played by members of religious orders in their times of leisure - hence the interest in sacred intabulations. All religious orders were suppressed in England by no less that Thomas Cromwell.

Regards
Monica.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward C. Yong" <edward.y...@gmail.com>
To: "Lute List" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:33 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Polyphonic Intabulations

Hello folks!

I’ve been going through intabulations of sacred polyphony for lute, and after an admittedly brief search, I noticed something curious.

The Continentals, particularly the Spanish, seem very interested in intabulations of sacred polyphony, but I haven’t found any examples of English/British either doing the intabulations or being intabulated.

I’ve been looking at the Fuenllana, Narvaez etc, and I find Josquin, Morales, Gombert, but no Tallis or Byrd. Was English/British music entirely unpopular on the Continent?

Curious,

Edward C. Yong
edward.y...@gmail.com