Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:19 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Polyphonic Intabulations

  All good stuff explaining the paucity of many such intabulations at the
  time. But, in fact, there are some late sixteenth century MS sources
  which do preserve such latin intabulations - even outside Spain and
  even of English composers (eg Phillips).
  In particular, the largest single volume manuscript source for the
  lute, now known as the Thysius lute book, complied by the extremist
  theologian Adriaen Smout (1578/9 - 1646) preserves some. Amazingly for
  such an extreme Calvinist (he was banished from tolerant Remonstrant
  Holland for preaching that blasphemy and heresy should be punished by
  certain death - shades of today's sad world) he intabulated many latin
  motets, as well as Calvinist psalms, by such as Phillips, Lappi,
  Bussoni, Belli, et al.  More on this appears in a review in Early Music
  Performer 2010 of the excellent facsimile edition produced by the Dutch
  Lute Soc. Still available I believe.
  regards
  Martyn