Ron,
   Not sure how much of an outlier we can really say Castaldi was.
   Castaldi, Kapsperger, Pittoni, Melii... All those Italian seicento
   theorbo dudes were highly (and, to me, delightfully) idiosyncratic. On
   the face of it, Piccinini might at first seem to be the most
   conservative, but this was the guy who describes playing gruppi with a
   sweeping motion of the index finger while filling in other moving parts
   with the thumb and other fingers - all with nails, of course. (Anyone
   doing this on gut today?)
   It's pretty hard to get an idea of what consituted "normal practice"
   with this cast of characters whose work has survived.
   Chris
   [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone