That's a good observation, Bruno. The string tied to two buttons on the bowl
(as was my vandervogl) would not have been visible if it was only attached to a
shirt button or hook (tho I doubt that would be the case in all these images).

My question is - if a strap isn't being used and the left hand is holding the
lute steady while, say, standing -  how do you jump positions to play upper
frets? For the life of me I've never gotten the hang of that.

I know I gas on about the V.lute but one more thing, the bowl is extremely
shallow. Its depth isn't significantly deeper - if at all - than a regular
guitar. this is very helpful and stable, I presume, if a strap is attached to
only the bowl. On the larger semicircle bowl of a Gerle, wouldn't the lute
would simply roll down (belly facing the floor) causing a constant battle to
hold it upright?

Sean