I played my lute at a hospice once. Went over like a lead balloon.
   Classical guitar was better received.

   A. John Mardinly, Ph.D., P.E.
   The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters
   Francisco Goya

   On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:38 PM, Tristan von Neumann
   <[1]tristanvonneum...@gmx.de> wrote:

   My proposition would be the following:
   Assemble a team: three lutists minimum!
   If possible, add recorders, Renaissance guitar, cittern etc., a dulcian
   and a trombone, and for the sake of beats some Renaissance percussion.
   If you have a portable organ, get it on stage.
   Go to your local jazz club and pitch "Early Music Jazz Jam Session".
   When playing, have the musicians occupy the functions of respective
   jazz musicians.
   Jam the hell out of Passamezzi, Romanescas, Bergamascas etc., throw in
   some song standards like Vestiva I Colli or Can She Excuse, do virtuoso
   solos. I bet the audience will have fun.
   Get that stick out of your spine and rock the venue.
   Am 04.01.2018 um 20:52 schrieb
   [2]theoj89...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu:

        Having friends in psychology, economics, and
     marketing/advertising, we
        have had this discussion over beer. And the general conclusion
     was that
        most artists (including early music artists) ought not be
     lamenting
        about why people don't show up to appreciate their art, but
     rather they
        should be discussing how best to draw in an audience. Think about
     it,
        if a graphic artist wants to put on an exhibit, they will
     bringing
        alcohol, maybe food, hire a musician, and create an inviting
     atmosphere
        for socializing. Moreover, symphony orchestras also have this
     problem
        and their partial (yet successful) solution are the multimedia
        programs; live performance of film music over film clips of Harry
        Potter, Star Wars, etc.
        The fact (sad or not) is that audiences have MANY distractions
     pulling
        their attention nowadays. Music alone, no matter how pure or
        inspirational, won't draw an audience as much as music PLUS
     something
        else - drama or a story, visuals, alcohol, dance, etc. I think it
     would
        behoove early music artists to start thinking about this and
        corroborating and creating more engaging programs. And there are
        successful examples of this out there, but there needs to be
     more.
        One more thing, I am also reminded of a program done years ago by
        Steven Wade (?) called 'Banjo Dancing' (?). He performed as one
     man
        with a banjo. He played, told stories, sang, and had a truly
     engaging
        performance. And it drew audiences. There is absolutely no reason
     why
        something similar couldn't be done by a lutenist given some
     talent and
        hard work in creating such a stage performance. And as a
     disclaimer, I
        am not a professional musician, so these are merely my opinions,
        looking in from the outside.