Having friends in psychology, economics, and marketing/advertising, we
   have had this discussion over beer. And the general conclusion was that
   most artists (including early music artists) ought not be lamenting
   about why people don't show up to appreciate their art, but rather they
   should be discussing how best to draw in an audience. Think about it,
   if a graphic artist wants to put on an exhibit, they will bringing
   alcohol, maybe food, hire a musician, and create an inviting atmosphere
   for socializing. Moreover, symphony orchestras also have this problem
   and their partial (yet successful) solution are the multimedia
   programs; live performance of film music over film clips of Harry
   Potter, Star Wars, etc.

   The fact (sad or not) is that audiences have MANY distractions pulling
   their attention nowadays. Music alone, no matter how pure or
   inspirational, won't draw an audience as much as music PLUS something
   else - drama or a story, visuals, alcohol, dance, etc. I think it would
   behoove early music artists to start thinking about this and
   corroborating and creating more engaging programs. And there are
   successful examples of this out there, but there needs to be more.

   One more thing, I am also reminded of a program done years ago by
   Steven Wade (?) called 'Banjo Dancing' (?). He performed as one man
   with a banjo. He played, told stories, sang, and had a truly engaging
   performance. And it drew audiences. There is absolutely no reason why
   something similar couldn't be done by a lutenist given some talent and
   hard work in creating such a stage performance. And as a disclaimer, I
   am not a professional musician, so these are merely my opinions,
   looking in from the outside.