Hi All,

Just a reminder that I wrote a blog on this subject some time ago: http://luteshop.co.uk/body-frets-who-needs-them/

Martin

On 31/03/2019 05:01, Dan Winheld wrote:
 Ed- I'm not assuming actual frets. That's why I nearly always use the words "13 semitone" - (or whatever semitone) when talking about any note above the 8ve. In fact, one should never assume any actual fret above the 8th, 9th, or sometimes 10th. Except, maybe, late German D-minor lutes- the ones where I have sometimes seen pics of up to 14 frets?

We all know about Dowland mentioning Mathias Mason and his invention of wooden body frets. And, of course, that annoying Da Costa picture of a fat old 5 course with strange ebony looking frets in the late 15th century.

Dan