I don't understand this discussion. There are clearly arguments for both
playing styles.

.. and no one ever plays Francesco with plectrum-thimbles!!!

On 10.05.19 16:27, Martyn Hodgson wrote:
    Dear Lex,
    I really don't want to keep going over this same ground all the time -
    I do have other more pressing things to do (like writing out string
    parts for the first rehearsal of La Dirindina tomorrow)!  But this is
    what I wrote earlier:  'So you know: my own practice on the period
    guitar is to have the RH nails just so long as to provide support to
    the 'nibble' end of the plucking finger.'
    Whether you personally classify this as playing with or without nails
    is entirely up to you.
    regards
    Martyn

    On Friday, 10 May 2019, 14:58:18 BST, Lex Eisenhardt