I own a Zoom H4 (the old version) and am pretty happy with it. Did many concert
recordings with it.
The actual microphone capsules are pretty good (way better than one would
expect). If you need you can
plug in external mics - the device provides phantom power so you can use
high-quality condenser mics.
The preamps are good for what the device is designed for (live recording). The
are a bit noisy iff you need
to crank up the input gain. So I wouldn't recomend the device if you want to
use it to record environmental
noise (wind in the willows et al.).
The device is a class-compliant USB audio device as well, so you can record
directly into your DAW (and
it does work fine with Linux. That's what I use personally). Alternatively, you
can mount the device as a
storage device and copy files from/to it.
One thing to mention: all Zooms are very microphonic! Don't plan on redording
holding the device in your
hand. I think the current price for a new-gen. Zoom H4 is below 200 Euro at
Thomann.

HTH, RalfD