I have a Tascam DR-1 and it has given me years of loyal service. It gives a
very clean, natural sound, has good build quality and the original battery
still provides outstanding autonomy. This model has obviously been superseded
but there are several others on offer. Try to see one in the flesh before
purchase to check on the robustness of the models of the present range. Tascam
have been in business for years, notably providing equipment to professional
recording studios and radio stations but I suspect the cheaper models cut
corners on solidity.

Best,

Matthew