A good question, Dr. Mardinly.  What one notices, though, is that when violins,
violas, cellos and string basses have their strings plucked rather than bowed,
the sustain of the note is short (string basses doing by far the best, and
violins doing the worst with pizzicato - plucked notes).  It thus seems to me
that the method of having the strings stretched over a non-fixed bridge as they
are for the bowed instruments, works very well for transmitting the vibrations
of the strings to the instrument when they are bowed, and not so well at all
when they’re plucked.  The fixed bridges with strings attached as on guitars,
lutes, etc. seems to be the best way of transmitting the vibrations to the
instrument when the strings are plucked, rather than bowed.
A luthier’s explanation of this would be welcome.
Ned