I certainly neglected to mention banjos, which have no soundboard
   bracing, and are LOUD, and the 8 string guitar of Paul Galbraith, made
   by David Rubio, which has a tailpiece to hold the strings (I have no
   idea what the internal bracing of that guitar is, but  Paul Galbraith
   states very clearly that increasing volume was a high priority in the
   project). The point is that bracing, whether ladder or fan, that gives
   strength to the top so that it does not come apart due to string
   tension, suppresses vibration and thus volume and sustain. So the
   bracing could be minimized if the bridge/top did not need to cary the
   tension of the strings.

   A. John Mardinly, Ph.D., P.E.