   From: Tristan von Neumann <tristanvonneum...@gmx.de>
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thu, Sep 26, 2019 9:40 am
   Subject: [LUTE] Renaissance/Medieval Fairs
   So here's something different for a change.
   Why is it that in the US there are "Renfairs", all dedicated to mainly
   the 16th century (and some really stretching it by allowing some
   fantasy
   elements), while in Germany we only have "Mittelaltermärkte" (Medieval
   Fairs).
   What I don't like about the Medieval Fairs in Germany (though some are
   quite good and only allow painstakingly recreated authentic stuff), is
   the music.
   Since we don't know much about instrumental music of the Middle Ages,
   many people take this as an excuse to brutally treat the crowd with
   Techno-like monster beats by huge drums and ear-shattering bagpiping.
   I have very rarely heard "real" Medival Music apart from some Walter
   von
   der Vogelweide favourites and the occasional Oswald von Wolkenstein.
   Even the popular "Estampies" are rarely heard, and we rarely get even
   simplified versions of tunes from British Library Add. 29987.
   If you're not blasted by bagpipes, there will be bawdy songs in
   pseudo-medieval folk style, of course played on totally inappropriate
   instruments.
   While I think I would love to take my lute to such an event, I would be
   totally anachronistic, and I do not want to join the "Medieval"
   musicians presenting 16th century music like Susato or even Praetorius
   as "medieval".
   These events have musically corrupted the ear of the common audience.
   Whenever someone hears 16th century lute music they consider it
   "medieval"...
   Lucky America: having looked through musical performances at
   Renaissance
   Fairs, we see many ensembles actually performing appropriate songs and
   dances.
   Here's a great example (if the lute player is here: good job you two)
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RptxRpTiHo
   Also madrigal singers:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYc7AqSTZXY
   Anachronisms are sometimes good fun, as the madrigal version of Katy
   Perry shows, but it seems madrigal singers really enjoy the original
   material like Dowland songs or Italian vocal music.
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIsHkuVTzDE
   Of course there are some of those folk singers too, but the style is
   more appropriate for the age represented.
   So here's the survey - how many of you have at least performed once at
   Renaissance Fair in the US (or other countries) - or in case of
   Germany,
   at a "Mittelaltermarkt"? (are there attempts to establish a Renaissance
   fair beside the Medieval ones?)
   How is the response to actual lute music?