The "r" is in most English lute MSS and in all the lute song prints as well. In fact it's not an "r" at all, just another way of writing "c".

My biggest readability complaint is writing the letters on the lines rather than between them - a habit which seems to have become quite common with some modern editors of lute music. And just to open up a few more worms, I find French tablature very convenient because (although I read all kinds of tab fluently) I can write in fingerings, which can get very confusing in Italian tab.

On 04/08/2020 02:27, T.J. Sellari wrote:
    ---------- Forwarded message ---------
    From: Tristan von Neumann <[1]tristanvonneum...@gmx.de>
    Date: Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 8:14 AM
    Subject: [LUTE] Re: e vs c
    To: [2]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu <[3]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
    Ah yes. I forgot about those.
    I hate English prints. As if they were deliberately trying to make
    things unreadable.
    Morlaye is the best imho.
    On 04.08.20 01:30, Denys Stephens wrote:
    > Dear Sean & Tristan, the Robert Dowland âVarietie of lute lessons'
    and Barley's âNew book of tablature' both have âr' for âc' although the
    latter is engraved rather than typeset. I suspect that the Varietie of
    lute lessons may have had an undue influence in modern times because it
    was the first facsimile that many of us who were involved in lute music
    in those days owned in the Scott edition.

    <[4]tristanvonneum...@gmx.de> wrote:

    >> Good question Sean...
    >>
    >> I think there's no real development in this.
    >>
    >> For example, Fuhrmann's Testudo Gallica&Germanica uses "on-line"
    fonts,
    >> and "c".
    >>
    >> This is very annoying sometimes if you want to play from the
    facsimile...

    >> In manuscripts, Marsh Lute Book uses c, it's often very confusing
    next
    >> to the e.
    >>
    >> French "above line" prints from earlier decades (Morlaye, Le Roy)
    also
    >> use c but I find those prints very readable.
    >>
    >> I don't recall "r" in prints, but maybe I missed some.
    >>

    >>> On 04.08.20 00:56, Sean Smith wrote:
    >>>      Dear all,
    >>>      There's a long tradition of scribing the cipher 'r' in place
    of 'c' in
    >>>      manuscripts of lute tablature. It's quick and easy and serves
    >>>      differentiate a 'c' from an 'e'. My question is, did this
    carry over
    >>>      into historic printed tablatures with standardized typefaces?
    Can