Secretary Hand r's are different from the c's that look like r's. There
   would be little confusion.
   Tom

   On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:19 PM Frank A. Gerbode, M.D.
   <[1]sa...@gerbode.net> wrote:

        Thanks, David.
        Arguably, that kind of a c could be easily confused with an r,
     but as r
        is rarely, if ever, seen in lute tab (has anyone ever seen it?),
     this
        isn't a problem.
        I like the "r" form of the letter c because it is clear and
        unambiguous. Also because I cut my teeth on Varietie and on
     English
        lute mss. In early days, I used to hand-copy a lot of sources
     and,
        having terrible handwriting, I used the "r" style for clarity.
        I also find tab letters on spaces easier to read because the
     ciphers
        are not transected by a line. And, yes, this makes it easier to
     add
        readable fingerings.
        It's all about clarity and readability.
        --Sarge