> Thanks for your thoughts.  If anything its helped me to refocus on why I
> started doing the gui-indep in the first place (apart from having fun
> playing with signals/slots).  With a bit of luck it might even spark a bit
> of support from some of the lurkers who want to have their favourite
> desktop supported to step forth and help get the groundwork completed so
> they can get started on porting.

My primary motivations for GUI independence are:

1) Aesthetics.  I'm a computer science guy, and I like a good design.  Of
course, I like the program to look good on the screen too, but I like a clean
code more.

2) Portability.  LyX should not be X11 only.

3) Fun.  It was fun to see the new abstract painter working when we had the
Copenhagen meeting.  It will be fun to see the curses version on the screen.

4) Open source.  LyX should be available as a 100% open source binary.  XForms
is no good for that, and Qt was not when KLyX was done.

Greets,

Asger