[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > My point is that LyX is intended for editing structured documents and
> > it is wrong for LyX to be able to handle non-structured documents as
> > well.  Writing converters between various formats is a good thing, but
> > since the target of word processors and LyX is so different, I don't
> > think import/export facilities to be a part of LyX.
> >
> > Thanks for listening,
> > Regards,
> >       SMiyata
>
>   We all speak english although we know esperanto is a lot better.
>   Unfortunately very few people talk esperanto. This same thing happens
>   with document formats. LyX is great!! but it can not talk with most
>   of the rest of the world. I actually cannot recomend LyX generally
>   because people who use it will not be able to interchange documents
>   with a big part of the rest of the world. We have to break that.
>
>   I believe that as soon as LyX has a nice enough document
>   importer-exporter it can become a major plater in the
>   "word-proccessing" business.
>
>   Xavier
I think you have not used LyX long enough :) It does take some getting
used to, and in the beginning I had lots of WP documents that I wanted
in LyX. My first thought was to use wp2latex and reLyX. That worked. It
gave me documents that looked pretty much the same except with much
cleaner fonts. Then I realized that the structure was a mess, and
deleted all of the WP formatting and LyXified it. After that I just
exported my WP docs as generic ascii and import them to LyX, then add
the structure. I do the same now with Word docs.
But you do have a way to go. Hevea translates latex to html, and
html2latex does the reverse. LyX exports latex and reLyX converts latex
to LyX.
MSWordview converts word to html, and surely Word can import html, can't
it?
Get busy with perl or python an script an interface.
Or just tell  your word users to get real.
Garst