Lars> I agree that the algorithm Jean-Marc proposes is sufficient. I
Lars> think tht the whole SpaceLess function should go. We could have
Lars> a similar function with a different name (like
Lars> tex-conforming-name), what I think we should do is to add a
Lars> "string latex_tmp_filename" to Buffer, so that we only call
Lars> tex-conforming-name once.

It is not a tmp_name. It applies when creating nice tex, too.

Lars> Also I think Jean-Marc's proposal should have a "& 0x7f" in it.
Lars> Too avoid too many X's.

This creates strange names, I think. We could also use =XX notation:
it is horrible, but at least predictable (people will be surprised to
notice that their 'é' turn into 'i').

Lars> But this should not be done for 1.1.2. For 1.1.2 we should go
Lars> with Jean-Marcs algorithm + a "& 0x7f".

As you like.