Jules> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Andre' Poenitz wrote:
>>  Concerning the multi-byte encoding: We should have a discussion
>> whether it is sensible to use Unicode internally. The world is
>> changing and last years' arguments won't fit anymore. We could get
>> rid of almost all of the encoding stuff at the price of double
>> sized buffers plus quite a bit of work. But in the end thing would
>> be much simpler....

Jules> My instinct says that most people aren't going to care in the
Jules> slightest about a doubling of internal buffer sizes. The
Jules> combination of cheap memory, cheap hard disks, and sensible VM
Jules> systems makes this not much of an issue, IMO.

I think it should not be very difficult to choose the size of
characters at compile time. We define LChar to be the unit character,
and operate on that.