On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Roland Krause wrote:

> I did that too and I admit I dont get what this is suposed to do for LyX? Do
> you intend to have a new file format?

No.  A better way to shift data between the various components of LyX
(internal or external).

> Btw XDR is a platform independent format for binary representation. I
> use XDR a lot for numerical stuff. This XLT thing looks like XDR for
> structures with some automatized traversal,

so far so good.

> but what would that be needed for?
> Am I clueless or missing imagination here?

You almost answered your own question in the previous paragraph.
Externalization.  Whether its external to LyX or external to the core.
As you will have noticed in the XTL documentation the optimized code for
any of the fancier formats is no worse than about half the speed of a
memcpy but it can be used to communicate to external clients -- a Python
script or a CORBA-enabled bibliography database for example -- at almost
no extra cost.

Allan. (ARRae)