Abdelrazak> Obviously, the only logical decision to take now is to
Abdelrazak> declare qt3 deprecated then.
>>  Not sure.

Abdelrazak> And you will never be.

If it looks like qt3 can continue to serve its purpose, it should
continue. What I am not sure of, is whether we'll manage to do that.

Abdelrazak> I am not talking about simple bug or compilation fixing. I
Abdelrazak> am talking about API cleanup. There's much thing to do in
Abdelrazak> this area, like it or not.

I was mislead by "I won't touch one line of it from now on",
obviously.

>> 1. who is going to do that? I still got no offer.

Abdelrazak> You mean autotools, scons or cmake support for static
Abdelrazak> linking?

No, do the actual packaging for actual binaries, and coordinate all
the packaging action.

Abdelrazak> Why presuming that something is not possible just because
Abdelrazak> you have no clear offer? People need directions as to how
Abdelrazak> they could contribute.

I did post a list.

>>  2. when proposed more liberty about qt4, your first reaction is to
>> demand 4.2 only (which will probably become 4.3 only by the time
>> 1/5 is released)

Abdelrazak> So what? I don't see how this contradicts what I am saying
Abdelrazak> above. When statically linked, the user don't care if it
Abdelrazak> is 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3. The latest, the better.

This is not how linux distributions work.

>> 3. As Edwin said "there is no free lunch".

Abdelrazak> Too much thinking kills the thinking (sic). You are
Abdelrazak> dismissing any decision just because you are afraid of
Abdelrazak> potential problems that might appear in the future. I say
Abdelrazak> let's take some clear decisions right now to freed
Abdelrazak> ourselves from these endless discussions.

Hey! When the time will come to actually do the work, you will be
happily working on the qt5 frontend (because qt4 is soo old), and the
1.5 stable release manager will have to handle the dirty work. Nice.

I am not dismissing any decision, I am proposing things that you do
not want to accept because you do not want to have any constraint.

Maybe that if I said "let's stick to C++" you would say that you want
to go to Qt's new java toolkit...