Joost> Not having auto toolbars makes them very difficult to use,
Joost> because you'll have to reopen them again every time you start
Joost> LyX (unless you know how to hack the ui files, you can't expect
Joost> that from a normal Windows user). The auto toolbars are also
Joost> already in 1.5.

I think that my proposal to ship several ui files (and renames
includes to .inc so that the browser does not find them) could be a
reasonable stopgap for 1.4.4.

Something like
default.ui
autotoolbars.ui
alltoolbars.ui
classic.ui

(of course, we'll have to stop somewhere; we cannot propose each and
every possibility with such a simple-minded system)

In retrospect, I think it was an error to have the on/off/auto and
top/bottom settings for toolbars in the ui files themselves. They
would be easier to handle if they were in the prefs.