Please note that the X selection protocol is supposed to
be asynchronous i.e. copy should happen at paste time. The X selection
is not an additional clipboard.

I agree with you completely here, but again, you are talking about
tech details, and I am talking about user experience. We (users) do
not know what is asynchronous and have all the rights to believe that
selection is a without-C-c clipboard, especially when firefox, gvim,
nedit, emacs all appear so. Then, lacking such a feature in lyx will
somehow become lyx' fault.

So, you are free to only paste highlighted selection, and I will
implement and enjoy this extension.

Bo